Pages

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Weekend Warrior

I have such a busy work week schedule that I am usually only able to do the things I really enjoy on weekends. I am going to try to share these things in weekly posts that will be marked as "Weekend Warrior".

One of the things I really enjoy doing is cooking and baking. I work in downtown Toronto from 8:30 a.m. until 5:30 p.m. and am therefore usually not home until around 7:00 p.m. (if the transit system behaves normally). Due to that fact, I rarely get to cook, or even help out with dinner during the week. This means that one weekends I usually go out of my way to make at least one special meal that my other half would never bother with.

This weekend I made a family favourite, healthy sloppy joes.

The basis of this recipe came from the following book:



I love this book! I love Dr. Joey. I did the five day cleanse listed in this book and lost over 5 pounds in the five days. It was really tough though.

But anyhow, the sloppy joes...

Health Sloppy Joes

*We always make a double so we have left overs for lunches and quick snacks, so feel free to half the recipe if you only want to make enough for one meal.

2 500 gram packages of lean ground turkey (can substitute chicken, beef or veggie ground)
1 28 ounce tin of crushed tomatoes
1 5.5 ounce tin of tomato paste (we use the one with garlic)
1 onion (we use a red onion for the antioxidant)
2tsp chili powder
1tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
4tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1tsp butter (or oil of choice for frying)

1) Peel and dice the onion and cook in a non-stick pan until lightly browned (using the butter or oil).

2) Add lean ground product of choice and fry together until cooked well.



3) Combine all other ingredients and simmer until heated throughout. (Can use whole grain flour to thicken if necessary but I never add it.)



4) Serve the mixture as you see fit. Common choices are on bread, buns, or I really like it on pitas with some shredded marble goat cheese and wrapped up like a burrito. It's also good enough to eat on it's own!



Enjoy!

***

Books Read for 2010 Updated here.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmmm, I gotta try that. Looks yummy :)

Gwenyth Love said...

It really really is. Thanks for the comment!

Rebeca said...

Looks good! I'm not a big meat eater so when I have a sloppy joes craving I use lentils but this might work for the boy :)

Gwenyth Love said...

Hi Rebeca, thanks for stopping by.

We try not to use meat as much as possible, and stay away from red meats almost always. Lentils or veggie ground would be good also.

Suzi Storm said...

Recipe looks great. I enjoyed reading through your blog. I look forward to more posts from you in the future. xoxo

Gwenyth Love said...

Thanks Suzi! Glad you enjoyed it!

MrsMonicaLB said...

yummy,looks easy and healthy can't beat that!
dropping by from SITS

Gwenyth Love said...

Thanks for stopping by Monica! It is yummy and healthier than a lot of other things I used to eat...lol. I just realized I forgot to add the calorie information, etc. I will have to edit that when I get home.

Allie said...

Thanks for your comment! This recipe looks great - I love sloppy joes so I will have to try it out. Were you in a marching band when you did colour guard? I was in one for 8 years in southwestern Ontario (not colour guard, though!)

Gwenyth Love said...

Hi Allie. Thanks for stopping by! I was never in a marching band, but I was in drum corps, similar, bur drum corps only has drums, horns and colourguard (and some other percussive type instruments) - no flutes, saxophones, etc. I started when I was 8 and still do it today. :)

Chibi said...

Ooh, looks great! We'll have to give that one a try. :)

Gwenyth Love said...

Thanks Chibi. Glad to have you stop by. Let me know if you enjoy it.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Everything Gwenny. Design by Exotic Mommie. Illustraion By DaPino